OSMED self-inflating tissue expanders are made of a specially developed hydrogel that uses the osmotic principle to gain volume.
These implants are indicated for the facilitation of normal growth of orbital soft tissues and bones to achieve proximate facial symmetry for the treatment of clinical anophthalmos and congenital microphthalmos, including post-enucleation socket syndrome.
After implantation, OSMED hydrogel implants start to absorb body fluid and grow consistently to a predefined form and volume. The increased volume of the implant – between 6 to 12 fold, depending on the product type – leads to an increase of soft tissue.
Box of 1
General benefits of the OSMED tissue expanders:
- High biocompatibility
- Similar hydrogel also used in soft contact lenses
- Low risk of infection
- Controlled hydrogel swelling
- Does not use valves
- Does not require inflation or deflation
Sphere (orbita expander)
For the treatment of clinical anophthalmia and to achieve proximate facial symmetry.
- Expansion of the orbita with clinical anophthalmia
- Compensation of volume deficiency in the orbit
- Creation of anabutment/support for artificial eye prosthesis
- Enlargement of the palpebral fissure due to forward pressure from the artificial eye prosthesis
*In vitro in 0.9% NaCl-Sol.